365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 30 September 2019

Monday 30th September 2019

Well here it is. The final posting of this year long blog focusing on events and doings that have intrigued me during this twelvemonth. So how to end? Well I thought I'd look back to this date, the 30th of September, but on my birth year 1964. And as I work in the broadcasting industry, what was on the BBC during the 30th September 1964, to entertain the 6 month old Andrew?. Well here goes.


We begin the day with some Music and Movement in schools. I added this as I remember doing this 10 years later in my junior school


After that we can get all 60's groovy with some music for moderns on the Light Programme

And after an afternoon nap, I could brush up on my shorthand techniques before watching the news on the television - this was the golden age of broadcasters, pretty much everyone mentioned below was a household name. Kenneth Allsop was a hero of mine, much later in my life, as he lived under the shadow of Eggardon Hill in Dorset.


After I'd had my bath and been put to bed, my parents had an excellent choice of listening or viewing. On BBC 2 a programme about marriage - is it outdated? - we're still talking about how outdated marriage is 55 years later, yet, the churches are full of people being wed.


Or on the radio my parents could listen to the Third programme and an interview with the newly appointed director of the Tate Gallery, Edward Lucie-Smith. My father being an artist, this may have ticked his box of interest.


And finally, it's all too exciting, so off to bed with A Book at Bedtime which is still going strong, though this book eludes me. Apparently they were a series of books about a cat who assists the FBI in tracking down a pair of bank robbers. It was published in 1963.


So there you go - what a day I'd have had in 1964. Back in 2019, that's me done. I've enjoyed this second foray into a year long blog. Possibly not as much as in 2014 as I seem to be slowing down. Inevitable really. Will I return in 2024? I'm not sure, lets see.

The future is history for me. An odd phrase but I'm getting really excited about researching around the real person, Mariana Lawton and her lover Anne Lister, which is leading me into female landowners of the 18th and 19th Century. It's fascinating. I'll still be blogging, not here of course, but on my history blog, Mainly Woolgathering. https://mostlywoolgathering.blogspot.com/

Look forward to seeing you there maybe. Au Revoir.


No comments:

Post a Comment