365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 4 September 2019

Wednesday 4th September 2019


I know a little about Philosophy, it really is a little, scrapings of the mind of thought, but not in any in depth way. I do spend a lot of time thinking about things and more importantly questioning why things happen. It's my researcher, archivist mind - never believe what's said until it's proven. Be skeptical. Makes for rumbustious dinner parties. If I ever was invited to them. But then this book landed on my doormat - and it's fascinating. I began reading it today, I'm at page 13 of 746. Hmmmm I might be a while. I like the style of writing. Accessible in an intellectual way.  I shall enjoy this book, but for now though dear reader I 'll leave you with a quote from page one. Viz.

[the main message of John Paul Sartre] ... 

"Our knowledge will never be perfect, the world means nothing until we apply our interpretation to it, and we should dare to live our lives in freedom - like an artist facing a blank canvas... "

But then I thought - can a canvass ever be blank? - if it is painted white, it has colour. Colour influences the mind. As a machined fabric created to cover the frame, its texture is out of my control, manufactured to someone else's design and feel. It can never be just a blank canvas......that would be a void or vacuum. Hmmmm I might be a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment