365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 1 September 2019

Sunday 1st September 2019


I'm in the last month of my day by day blog posting and it's been enjoyable. At the beginning of this process I had a feeling the latter part of 2018 and into 2019 would provide a catalyst. A catalyst for what was not clear on my horizon of change. But I knew there'd be something and it has done this with spades (not that Catalysts use spades). I never thought when I began this blog back in September 2018 that I'd meet Anne Lister. I used that phrase in it's more esoteric sense as I never met her, having died 124 years before I was born. But her appearance in my life in the spring of 2019, reignited a passion I'd foolishly allowed to become dormant, that of history, archives and researching interconnected associations and attempting to make sense of it all. 

Three decades ago when working for a public library I'd spend hours in the 'stack', a dark, underground treasure trove of history in print. Nothing better than moving the compactor shelving about to reveal dusty, yellowing books, periodicals and especially back copies of newspapers, often after members of the public came in with complex research needs. I absolutely loved it, even though more times than not I'd emerge cobweb filthy. Why I didn't become an archivist is something I'm not sure of myself, and I did work in archives of some form or another for 15 years right. 

Since 2000 natural history very much became a primary focus, not least due to working at the BBC's Natural History Unit, but interconnected research and focus of associations and primary source material still fascinates me. Thus, once the day to day blog ends at the end of the month, my revamped blog Mostly Woolgathering will return. I've just deleted all the old irrelevant postings and created a new design. It might change, but for the moment I'll also post this on there and it's a synopsis on my return to my 900's interest in the 630's - with a bit of 192, but especially in 941 and 942 - which only makes sense if you know your Dewey Decimal System!

No comments:

Post a Comment