365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 15 September 2019

Sunday 15th September 2019


It was a chance conversation last night with my mum that prompted today's image. She said to me did I know her side of the family, family tree? Which I didn't, not completely. My fathers side is quite well known as my uncle, and latterly my fathers cousin has researched it for years. But my mums' side, which has always fascinated me is less well known. The ensuing few hours saw me trying to organise a family tree back from myself to my mothers grandfather Thomas Pollard who mum knows almost nothing about. Except he was a cooper (maker of wooden barrels) and a woodworker. Strange to think my mum knows little about someone she knew well, which is why family history is so fascinating. Gems relating to people of interest permeate through the days of history, yet some other people are absolutely forgotten about. 

I'll sort all this out soon, but the inclusion of some of dad's doodles made this task even better. I have very little of my fathers artwork, when I say very little I mean almost nothing. On the right hand side of a few notes on the family, he'd drawn a cottage and a couple of faces. I've seen these caricature faces for years, plucked from his mind, remembering people to place on paper, as a fact-fiction portrait. I've long asked dad to paint me a picture, I know it will never happen, but these doodles will do, (or is that these doodles with do-dle) for the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment