365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 7 April 2014

April 7th 2014

 
Layby 197. I love this image.  This was a stop over on the 380 mile drive I had to do today to reach Thurso. Along the entire route of the infamous A9 are layby's and all are numbered beginning at 1 near Perth and presumably ending up at Wick at number 300 or something. Do you know what I've just had a thought. Given that the A9 is about to be duelled to Inverness, I can see the madness of it but I guess the layby's will disappear soon under the widening. Is there a book here? The layby's of the A9? I like seeing the old A9 when driving along some of the improvements as I can just about  remember this, a winding, up hill down dale single carriage way that once one left Pitlochry seemed to take hours to travel the 80 or so miles to Inverness. Now its a much improved single carriageway its just the sheer volume of traffic causing problems, especially north of Inverness where the old A9 is still used and sometimes feels like a country lane.
 
Anyway layby 197 is by Dornoch just north of the Black Isle and I stopped here to take a photo of the bridge I was about to pass over. From here I had about 100 miles left to drive and from her it gets wild and woolly.
 
 
Eventually Thurso was reached and my destination the Station Hotel with my room on the first floor, to left of the balcony. I needed to stretch my legs so walked to the beach and took this photo of my ultimate destination. I can not drive any further north on the mainland but the MV Hamnavoe will tomorrow at 08.45 take me 20 miles further north than I have ever been in Britain. Orkney.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment