365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 12 April 2014

April 12th 2014

 
One should always respect the sea, I know I do and that's why I had broken sleep last night worrying about todays crossing. Originally I'd planned to get the 16.45 sailing back to Scrabster today. But on Wednesday looking at the weather forecast something made me think, best to get off Orkney earlier Andrew. I'm glad I did change my time to cross as at the time of my first choice this afternoon, Storm Force 10 weather warnings were out for Orkney, with sustained wind in the mid 30mph's and gusting at 60mph with sea state, High to rough or very rough. That wasn't on the forecast. Changing to a 09.00hrs crossing was a godsend. Even boarding the ferry at 9am the Captain said because the storm had passed over last night there was a sizeable swell out at sea, to quote "We'll be pitching past Hoy and rolling in the Pentland Firth, I recommend you find a comfortable seat and remain there". As it turned out the crossing was choppy yes but only 3 or 4 times did the boat move in anything other than a rolling motion - one of those moments being when some chaps playing dominoes lost them all on the floor followed by much muttering. Even with a gentle swell we were 25 minutes late into Scrabster, which considering this is a 90 minutes crossing was a sign of what was to come. As I drove off I looked at the people parked up for the return trip to Orkney, little did they know.

 
Back on dry land I spent the day exploring the Caithness and Sutherland coastline and as I did it became obvious the wind was picking up quickly. By the time I took this image below I'd almost been blown over on the beach by a gust. Some gust to move my 18 stone. I began today's posting by saying one should always respect the sea - my grandfather told me that. It is also why I always put money in the RNLI boxes - for it is Captains like the ferry MV Hamnavoe Captain MacCloud who are out there in all weathers keeping us safe, no matter how atrocious the weather becomes, and when something happens, its the RNLI who come out, brave souls and three cheers for them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment