365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 26 April 2014

April 26th 2014

 
I had a duo of thoughts today for the daily blog so providing choice to the reader, both are herewith served with a light garnish of irony.
 
Blooms garden centre near Swindon was our café of choice today. It's nice there although perilously close to the UK's in-breeding capital of Swindon (actually genetically that's Orkney - found that out on my holidays). After a coffee and a read of the papers we were on a hunt for phormiums  - spikey plants for a customer of Julie's. As she bobbed about looking for these I perused the vegetable section and alighted on this staggering creation. What in the mother of all thoughts was going on here? - grafted tomato plants, one plant, two stems, one stem red toms, the other yellow. And £7.99 per pot. This is madness gone feral. I'm all for plant breeding, even a supporter of GMO, but why-oh-why spend research effort of working out how to graft two varieties of tomato on a single rootstock. Stop the world I want to get off.

 
To recover then from this monstrous botanical moment I bought myself a Sherbet Fountain - I loved these as a child, those big sticks of liquorice, in a cardboard container that never quite let you quite get to the bottom of the sherbet before the cardboard tube disintegrated. Well now the new version is in a hermetically sealed plastic  tube with childproof stopper. Once I'd worked out how to get into it using a variety of kitchen knives, I have to say it tasted the same as the last time I'd had one of these aged about 8. But time for an experiment. Dropping half the sherbet into a glass and adding lemonade made for the most spectacular of results. Frothy man (who remembers Cresta soft drinks). Drinking the experiment was however not as exciting, like drinking fizzy sugar with a aftertaste. Extraordinary. Here endeth Saturday's view of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment