365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 17 April 2014

April 17th 2014


 
Who's eaten all the pies, or today the Simnel cake?  This afternoon I had to head south as tomorrow I'm going to the Lambourn Open day in Berkshire so there is no staying put up north for me, although it is tempting these days. My drawstrings back north now are pulling me ever stronger and I can't see it being long before I up-sticks again and head back permanently. After a quiet morning which also involved driving hither and yon looking for a lawnmower for my parents (long story), lunch and a mammoth photo viewing session, I planned to leave East Boldon about 4.30pm. Maundy Thursday is possibly the worst time to travel long distances as everyone is shooing about for Easter. I have learnt though that if I leave Tyneside around tea time as most people have completed their journey's by then I can be home around 10/11pm given the right traffic conditions. But before I set off the ceremonial slicing of mums Simnel Cake. Delicious it is too, which is why my father is guarding over it.
 
 
Leaving East Boldon at 4.45pm and apart from a quick stop for fuel I drove in one hop, arriving at East Grafton in Wiltshire at 10.04pm (it always takes about 5 hours driving). And there to prove it my mammoth journey comes to an end. I'd set the trip recorder on Friday 4th April as I left home and now I'm home having driven to Orkney and back, 2,090.1 miles in total, or an average of 150 miles a day. And do you know what I'd do it all again tomorrow if anyone askes me.  
 
 
Hats off too to my wonderful Suzuki Swift DDIS. This small town car is meant to be for local journeys, well Mr Suzuki you have produced a fantastic long distance cruiser. Okay if there were 4 of us it would struggle as it has a small engine and boot but on my own, it was willing, comfortable (no aches or pains at all) and above all, averaged 67mpg - now that's worth celebrating, well done Suzi Grey, I hope you enjoyed visiting the Northern Islands too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment