365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 3 June 2014

June 3rd 2014

 
I pass this view nearly every morning on the way into work and yet something this morning made me stop and take a photograph. This is the river Banwell which rises in the village of Banwell on the northern slopes of the Mendips Hills, about 8 miles from where this photograph was taken. Eventually the river flows into the Bristol Channel at Woodspring Bay. Until 1915 the area where the river rose was a series of freshwater springs on the Mendip slopes. The springs were capped to provide water for the Bristol Water Works and the large pool into which the springs once bubbled up into was filled in and is now the village bowling green. This view however is about a quarter of a mile from my house. I live on the very edge of a modern estate and each morning I turn out of my drive, turn right at the junction and drive along the narrow lane to the main road 3 miles away at Hewish. As I cross the tiny humped back bridge I always slow down and look left and right to see what's happening along the river. Often there is a grey heron here, or little grebe, once a kingfisher and as today, mallard.  Adjacent to the bridge is the remnants of a ford which presumably was in use until the area became more built up. At this point the river is tidal and at times of high tide the river can be almost overflowing the banks. Today however is was just a pastoral scene of English rural idyll. Commuting to work isn't bad if this is the daily view.


No comments:

Post a Comment