365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 21 June 2014

June 21st 2014

 
It's midsummers day today. The longest day. For as long as I've remembered I've been excited about this day, something magical about the day when the day length is at a maxima. Cynics could say this is a load of old tosh as the 20th and 22nd of June are almost as long. But for me it is the power of nature, and that sense of immense history. Long before life came to being on earth the sun and the earth have oscillated about creating light and dark. Ancient civilisations knew of the importance of long days, days when nature recovered fully from the long winters and provided bounty for the long winter to come. From childhood this day has fascinated me. Back then I didn't know why but through knowledge and learning I now know more. That the whole rhythm of life is driven by one thing, our circling of the sun. Today in this neck of the woods sunrise was 04.56. I could have gone to Stonehenge or somewhere similar, but for me there is just as much enjoyment being in the garden, the dawn chorus in full swing watching the dawn break in a contemplative way.  The day also brings with it (for me) a tinge of sadness as for the next 6 months the days shorten, imperceptibly at first but by mid August the first fingers of autumn can be felt - no bad thing, but I do love these almost permanent daylight days. 

 
As an aside to this, unbeknown to me the Red Arrows were displaying at Weston Super Mare today - I only found this out as a friend was coming to sit with scones and strawberry's but couldn't get to us because of the traffic. We abandoned meeting, Julie and I then heading to Sand Point for the gawp at this magical display team. A perfect combination, Red Arrows on Midsummers Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment