365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 19 June 2014

June 19th 2014


It's not every day a Tefal 2 slice toaster makes its way onto the BBC. Today however it did. After the move, Julie has been doing Sterling work getting boxes unpacked and sorting the house out. Especially in this heat. But one thing remained, the excess furniture we have, or should I say I still have. Combining two, 3 bed houses, produces a lot of duplication and redundancy. Although many items had been sold from the Wiltshire house, I'd struggled to sell my redundant items, until today that is. We have a new programme assistant in the office, newly moved to Bristol from London and desperate for items for his house he's just bought with his girlfriend. Tom, for that is his name, overheard me chatting to another colleague over trying to and failing to sell many items. Toms ears lit up (a medical phenomenon one doesn't often see). Upshot was that tonight Tom hired a van and took away, a sofa, a king sized bed, a double futon, a vacuum cleaner and finally a toaster. We can now see the carpet again in the house.

But seeing the toaster reminded me of its former life. When it was new it starred in a series of photographs - around my garden with a toaster. A bizarre and eclectic montage of every day actions the toasted did for a friend in Italy. Toaster making a phone call, toaster ironing, toaster riding a bike. I'd forgotten about this until I saw the toaster on the desk. I may have to dig the photos out and post on here as a record of a bizarre day back in 1999. Fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment