365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 29 June 2014

June 29th 2014




When I woke up this morning, this Stipa gigantica (or big grass) was in the front garden. Upon retiring tonight it will be enjoying a more sheltered position round the back. I love these big showy grasses and had planted one at the front of the house about 3 years ago. It was happy there, grew well, but everytime it spewed forth its spectacular seed heads, they'd be battered or snap over with the wind. As this is an architectural plant designed to give structure and form in the barren winter garden, having to remove most of its seed heads by the end of summer maybe isn't ideal. The decision was made. As part of the garden revamp, this border is being dug over and re-planned, mainly as the wonderfully atmospheric salvia has become a thug and is rampaging over the garden now. It had to go. This left room for replanting and I thought the Stipa would work well against the wall and a conifer just beyond my boundary in the lane. And it does, with sunlight cascading over its seeds as never before. I love this side of gardening, moving whole mature plants in one swift movement, after having prepared a suitable hole beforehand. I'm less keen on fully mature gardens, I live the excitement of revamp and make-over. Now, I have a spade, so what next.

No comments:

Post a Comment