365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 9 March 2014

March 9th 2014

 
Bygone agriculture is a bit of an interest of mine and so it was a delight to stumble across this almost perfect 'acrobat' hay turner our on a walk. Bizarrely it was being used as a stop for a farm gate, but apart from one broken tine it looked in perfect working order. These were everywhere when I toiled in the fields, in fact I used to get up a good speed in the MF135, this on the back and windrowing the hay as fast as I could, often on two wheels as I turned on the headland. At that time we also had a 'cock-pheasant' and a hay-bob. I've not seen a working cock-pheasant for years now. The walk along the Wessex Ridgeway also allowed me to spy this abandoned galvanised bucket in a very gappy, but ancient ash and hazel hedge. While photographing this a number of off-road scrambling bikers came past, politely slowing down and nodding. We're all countryside users after all. Earlier I'd seen an abandoned plough in a field containing two Long Stones, part of the Avebury complex. A little bit of history in this ancient Wiltshire landscape.



No comments:

Post a Comment