365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 29 March 2014

March 29th 2014

 
I've heard about this problem in studies conducted with modern society and their inability to cope without the distraction of technological conveniences, initially at least. As I've mentioned earlier one of the things I'm doing whilst on leave is keeping well away from online services apart from this daily blog post. Too much time spent online, thus logic tells me that I'll have new improved additional time to do the things I've always said I never have time to do. Well only 24 hours into the experiment and I'm struggling. So much have online distractions become a part of my every day life that without them I've become twitchy and a bit bad tempered and don't want to do anything. I can't think straight, I'm adrift.
 
Take the above image. For ages now every Saturday I post a photo of whichever coffee house I end up in. Why I started this or why I continue to do this is anyone's guess. Today it was our usual haunt, Mipo at Planks Farm Shop near Devizes. Photo duly taken at our preferred table, number 10, then what? I can't post it on Facebook, I'm not allowed on there. I still took the photograph though, that was automatic, yet my vehicle for expression has ceased to be. Later on in the day I could be found pacing the house hinterland like a sore bear with a head. I tried reading, I tried many things but they didn't distract me. Worrying, deeply worrying that all too soon my withdrawal symptoms are producing negative emotional effects. I think every study I have read into this social experimentation (such as banning TV for a month in a community) has concluded that after the lost cause phase, in a day or so the individual come out of this malaise and regains the ability to interact with other people.  I hope so because this is driving me mad. I just hadn't realised how much Facebook and Twitter not only use up precious time in the day but drive my entire thinking at times. I think Orwell was correct in his assumption that the machines take over eventually. Unplug me please.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant post Andrew - very thought provoking and something we all ought to try.

    Since joining Twitter (not on Facebook thank goodness) I have found it so addictive and feel very twitchy when I can't access it which is very sad :( Am horrified that the first thing I do when I've been out is look at my timeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a BBC journalist taking a week out of Twitter for an experiment Caroline and found he was unable to last the week as he juts craved the news. I have to say now I'm a week into my self-enforced avoidance, I'm actually beginning to like all this time and a lot let worked up.

    ReplyDelete