365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 1 January 2019

Tuesday January 1st 2019


Cheltenham racecourse on New Years Day. A good day out indeed. Before I met Julie, now Mrs Dawes, I'd never been to a race meeting. I'd watched it on the television and placed the odd bet on the Grand National, but never visited in the flesh. The first racecourse to make my acquaintance therefore was Cheltenham, as it's a favourite of Julie's. Even I admit it's not a bad place to spend New Years Day. The place was packed, as you'd expect. Bank Holiday, ITV televised racing and weather though not as sunny as forecast, most agreeable to the middle aged pair carrying their own lunch. Honestly we are such a pair of skinflints. Smuggling egg and cheese rolls (or buns in my part of the world) into a complex dripping with eateries.  Around us champagne flowed, more tweed and leather than you could throw a crop at. And there's us with a home made picnic. And why not. The racing was good. I have no idea what is going on but Julie does and in the bottom image can be seen rushing over to the inner enclosure to watch a race. That's her mid stride in red half way across the track. I took that image from the Members Stand. Not sure I was meant to be there but having been ushered into this hallowed portal by a race official, I wasn't going to leave quickly. One doesn't like to mix with the pledeinoides you know. We didn't place a bet today either, just luxuriated into the atmosphere and relaxed, for it is work tomorrow for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment