365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 30 July 2014

July 30th 2014


A marathon editing day. 10 hours to fine mix 30 x 90 seconds of Radio 4 audio. I'm in the studio's with these on Monday so have a deadline set to get this finished today, to allow me to work on the next batch tomorrow.  This Tweet of the Day is a very satisfying project to work on as it allows the creativity side of me to come to the fore. I'm working to a template set up last year but within that template its up to me how these sound. I like that. An this explains why even though I'd sat at the desk pretty much solidly for 10 hours from 8am, I didn't find this a chore. Exhausting yes, but never a chore. The above image shows the 10 Christmas Tweets by Sir David Attenborough and the bottom image the final programme of 20 September Tweets, the emperor penguin. Format is simple. Speech lines at the top, wildtrack (atmospheres and spot effects to the public) at the bottom with the bird call sandwiched in between. I'm proud of these and when they go through the final mix hope they sound beautiful, simple but effective. The proof then will be in the pudding when the first one airs on September 1st.


As an aside the book languishing infront of the screen is Feral by George Monbiot. George was in the building today recording a piece for Shared Planet. He left this book with the team to read, but it ended up back in the office 'donations' pile. I'm not a huge fan of George, as his tactics and thoughts take a concept and insert it into a perfect scenario world. However I am open to his views and many people have said it is a thoughtful read. I will give it a go. (although it did make me laugh when the Shared Planet reported looked at the book which on its cover has a quote from Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall - to quote his words "any book with Hugh on the cover is not worth reading already").

No comments:

Post a Comment