365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 13 July 2014

July 13th 2014


A trip down to Weston super Mare's new pier today. I rarely go into Weston as it's both 6 miles from home and also used to be awful. It's still not great, but in the last 5-6 years though Weston has transformed its seafront. The burning down of the pier in 2008 was a catalyst for a seafront regeneration programme. So today, 4 years after the pier opened we ventured onto its timber decking for the first time. And it's not bad at all, if you just accept it is seaside fun for the masses. A refreshment in the Edwardian Tea Rooms and then a play on some of the fruit machines filled in a very happy hour or so. The latter especially as playing a fruit machine I managed to win 28 tickets. Not knowing what to do with these tickets I asked a chap and apparently they could be exchanged for gifts in the gift shop. Gifts are good. The only thing I could afford with my 28 tickets was a polystyrene Hurricane worth a stonking 25 points - or 40p as that was all I'd put in the machines before I won such riches. I was happy with that, not least as it brought back memories of Murray's toy shop in Rothbury as a 10 year old buying balsa wood planes to fly. And do you know what? They're still as much fun to fly 40 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment