365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 22 July 2014

July 22nd 2014

 
If I can't spend something on my books now I'm 50 what can I do? Now we are conjoining 2 houses the time has come to abandon all the flat pack furniture I'd bought in the mind set that living here was temporary and to buy some good solid wood furniture for the future.  And so it was with excitement this afternoon that a glass fronted bookcase was delivered to the abode, destined to house my rare, expensive and first edition books, which had until today been languishing in various bookcases. Which given the fact that some of these I've paid nearly £200 for it seems only right to house them properly. The mad part of the whole operation was the packaging. I'm not complaining as it meant the bookcase arrived undamaged, but it took some getting off. First an outer thick cardboard layer, then 2 layers of polystyrene shrink wrapped of course and finally a layer of micro-cloth plastic to protect the surface. I was grateful but part of me did think about the environmental cost. In years gone by before we knew better we'd burn all the polystyrene on the open fire. How times have changed, but not my love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment