365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 26 December 2018

Wednesday December 26th 2018






Good turnout for the Morpeth Hunt Boxing Day meet. Counted about 50 mounted riders and around 2-300 people watching from the field next to the Dyke Neuk pub in Northumberland. Both Julie and I like going to a Boxing Day meet, and five years ago to the day we were at Pewsey in Wiltshire doing exactly the same thing. Today's meet was in the field adjacent to the pub. The master gave a tremendous speech accompanied by the baying of the hounds behind me. A bit of a festive snifter was imbibed and then they were off across the fields. I get and respect others peoples views of hunting. Since the ban in 2004, trail hunting like this is gaining thousands of new followers. This is rural life as it really is, and not as the glossy magazines would have us believe it is. I've met both animal lovers who don't understand nature and field sport people who are fabulous conservationists who hunt for a living. Understanding each others views and ways of living is key I feel to a greater future. There's too much pigeon holing going on in the countryside at the moment.  It's always a tough discussion going on in my mind at such events as I'd not want to hunt myself, but like Julie, I enjoy the event. 

The hunt departed and then after a coffee in the pub we popped to Holystone Woods for a quick walk. It must be 30 years since I'd set foot in these remote stands of oak and birch. Good to be back, yet first time for Julie. Next time we'll do a longer walk to Dove Crag and beyond. This is real home to me where my love of Northumberland came from, the upper Coquet Valley. 



No comments:

Post a Comment