365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 11 December 2018

Tuesday December 11th 2018


I've documented these early daffodils for years, but I think this is the earliest I've seen them flowering. To be fair they normally begin flowering next to the Catholic Cathedral in Clifton before Christmas. But for me their arrival heralds the start of natures energy which is the turning of the year looking ahead to spring. Bright beacons in the dark days before Christmas. I was out for a walk over lunch. Often I'm too busy to have a lunch break, but today I'd finished mixing my Open Country for broadcast in January, in the studio. Befuddled and tired, I felt the need to perambulation and fresh air. Which is how I found myself at the Cathedral following a notion, "I wonder if the daffodils are flowering yet". Finding they were, as was a red admiral on the wing as I set off,  I continued my walk through the streets of Clifton. Until my foot before foot motion was arrested by a plaque. 

DOROTHY BROWN - TIRELESS CONSERVATIONIST


Who I thought? I've been wandering around Clifton for 25 years, yet this lady who died in 2013, who has been recognised with a green civic plaque, was absolutely unknown to me. Shocking given she was a fellow northerner too. Returning to the work I looked her up. A remarkable lady indeed, so in full recognition of her work, here is her obituary from the Guardian paper in full. A fascinating walk for me indeed. I should walk more often. I wonder if Dorothy planted those daffodils, they're just around the corner?

First published on Mon 4 Nov 2013 18.21 GMT

 Dorothy Brown, who worked to preserve historic Bristol, has died aged 86  In 1970 Dorothy Brown became involved in a campaign to protect the Avon Gorge from plans to build a huge hotel near the Clifton suspension bridge. Dorothy Brown was a saviour of historic Bristol and her indomitable work to preserve old buildings in the city was recognised with an MBE in 1988. She was also awarded an honorary degree from Bristol University in 1991. She died suddenly in her local public library, while working on her last campaign, at the age of 86.

Born in Berwick-upon-Tweed and growing up on a farm, Dorothy went to Edinburgh University – supporting herself as her father disapproved of women's education. There she met her husband, Tom, who was training to be a vet. They had five children and set up home in Bristol in 1954.

In 1970, she became involved in a campaign to protect the Avon Gorge from plans to erect a huge hotel in the vicinity of the Clifton suspension bridge. A year later, Dorothy founded the Bristol Visual and Environmental Group, primarily to combat the notorious 1966 development plan drawn up by the city council, which wanted to destroy Bristol's historic buildings and harbour to make way for concrete, steel and motorways.

At that time, there were 400 buildings in the city earmarked for demolition but Dorothy, who was instrumental in their listing, managed to save most of them, including the 18th-century Brunswick Square in St Paul's, via many public inquiries. Among her later successes, Dorothy helped to save the Clifton lido – dating from 1849, it is one of the oldest surviving lidos in Britain – which nearly succumbed to a developer's bulldozer in the late 1990s.

Her preservation trust also directly saved and restored key historic houses in Bristol and Frome, Somerset. In 1984, she bought Acton Court in Iron Acton, south Gloucestershire, now regarded as one of the most important Tudor buildings in Britain. While exploring the moat of Acton Court, she found a stone polyhedral sundial made in 1520 by the King's astronomer Nicholas Kratzer.

She wrote several books: Just Look at Bristol! (1976), Bristol and How it Grew (1975), Avon Heritage: The North (1979) and Rediscovering Acton Court and the Poyntz Family (2009). In 1979, she helped to set up the Conservation Advisory Panel to advise Bristol council on planning, and served on this panel until her death. During this time she campaigned relentlessly to improve the quality of design in Bristol and restore life to the its centre.

Tom predeceased her by six years. She is survived by her children, Mike, Hugh, Jo, Guy and Jenny, and five grandchildren.



No comments:

Post a Comment