365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 22 December 2018

Saturday December 22nd 2018


I'd just driven 295 miles to sample this bad boy. Behold the After Eight Hot Chocolate and rum truffle from Homer Hill Farm Shop near Durham.  The only reason for setting off at 0530 from Somerset, has to be visiting the parents for Christmas. Long has it been my journey up and down the M5, M42, A42, M1, M18, A1, A1(M), A168, A19 to Testoe's roundabout and a right turn to my parents house 1 mile away. I was thinking today, how many times have I done this. It seems a lot in the 25 years since I've lived down south, but I'd guess 4-5 times a year, x 25, only around 70-80 times. It's a long way but today was a breeze of a journey. It has taken me 9 - 11 hours in the past to do it. Which is why I no longer drive it during the day. Today, we stopped at 0730 at Tesco's Ashby De La Zouch in Leicestershire (132 miles) for a hot chocolate and pit stop. Then by 1055 were pulling into the car park of the Homer Hill Farm Shop at Rainton Gate. We still had 13 miles to go, but we fancied a quick coffee before arriving at Boldon. As you'd expect the place was heaving, enhanced by the setting up of the North East Concert Band. It's a long time since I've heard a brass band at Christmas. That said, my quick coffee became this behemoth of a mint chocolate drink. I'd love to know what was in it, but after my eyes stopped watering and I re-caught my breath I enjoyed it immensely.  The rum truffle went down a treat too. Just a little starter before the fish and chips at my parents for lunch, ahead of the Sainsbury's shopping delivery. Christmas at it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment