365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 6 February 2024

Tuesday 6th February 2024


When I began in this strange media business in the early 1990's emails were not around. When I began this blog ten years ago smartphones didn't exist, just Blackberry phones, and Zoom certainly didn't exist. Today technology drives so much of our lives and I find it fascinating. The screenshot here is of a Zoom recording of Radio 4's Rare Earth taken this afternoon. I'd set up the Zoom link and had just started the 'meeting'. In the studio in London's Broadcasting House were Tom Heap and Helen Czerski, producer Sarah Swadling and a studio guest Chris. In the United States Professor Henshue beamed in in perfect clarity, and in Belfast Connor an ecologist spoke loud and clear from a BBC radio booth, and me in my home office in Somerset. We were all chatting away as if we were in the same room, then I dropped out to allow the recording to begin. It will broadcast on Friday, alien invaders. We take all of this for granted now but a huge amount of technological development has taken place in the last few years to get all of us here and accepting that we can speak to people anywhere in the world in real time and see them, thanks to a little bit of software code and a laptop. Quite remarkable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment