365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 18 February 2024

Sunday 18th February 2024


And so the experiment begins. The perceived wisdom is that snowdrop do best in moist but not waterlogged soil, in dappled shade, preferably under trees. Pots are not recommended in the long term as they can dry out or be prone to frost. I've never followed perceived wisdom, therefore I plan to grow my small selection of snowdrop varieties in specimen terracotta pots. Yes these will take quite a bit of work during the dormant season, watering regularly, but having researched around this it's possible as long as the snowdrops are repotted every year with new compost. A labour of love if you will. And so today I potted up six varieties, including G 'Merlin' below which Julie kindly bought for me yesterday. Aside from G. nivalis I now only have G. 'Marjorie Brown' in the beds. My species snowdrop G. Gracilis bought in 2023 isn't bulking up and did not flower this year. When I dug it up the bulbs were tiny still. I don't think it was happy where I'd placed it, the soil maybe too cold there. Only time will tell whether this experiment works, but I do like a project though by the time these bundles of joy flower again, this year long blog will be well and truly over.

No comments:

Post a Comment