365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 1 January 2024

Monday 1st January 2024

2024 has arrived. How on earth did I get to this year? The year I'll stop being a quinquagenarian (age 50-59) and instead morph into a sexagenarian. Is there any hope? Well not really but the alternative is less appealing. So here I am, New Years Day.

Way back on October 29th I wrote of planting scented indoor narcissi for Christmas. This year I've kept them in the cold frame and they're blooming now. A week late but all the better for that as we can enjoy the scent. A lovely start to the new year. In the background are visible the January Gold daffodils which are blooming well.


Today however we'd arranged to meet friends at Slimbridge for a catch up. It was busy there when we arrived but we soon found each other and had a very enjoyable few hours watching birds while gossiping. They do good food at Slimbridge too. I wonder though what Sir Peter Scott would make of the crowds visiting here, with his house by the Rushy pool now a holiday home and people everywhere. It doesn't distract from the good works being done here though I'd like to turn the clock back to when Sir Peter first discovered Slimbridge, as an out of the way wildlife rich farm. It would be interesting to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment