365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 12 January 2024

Friday 12th January 2024

Imperceptibly these evenings may be shortening, but for another month we are living through the long dark nights of winter. Given there is precious little to entertain on television or the radio, we have started playing games again. Aside from card cames, there are surprisingly few for just two players (we are obviously too miserable to have friends). However tonight I dusted off my Othello board. I honestly can't remember when I last played this, maybe a decade ago. Julie had never played it before. On the surface it is a simple game but with experience a surprisingly mentally stimulating process. I like it a lot, domination of the game involves holding the corners. We played three games, the first to explain the tactics to Julie, the next two in anger, I won the first, but having placed one of my counters in the wrong square towards the end,  Julie turned over 11 of my counters with her final move and romped home to win her first game 42 to my 22. Devastating play there from the beginner. Backgammon next?

No comments:

Post a Comment