365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 6 January 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024

It may take a lot longer than popping into a shop and simply buying it, but today I began the process of making Julie a double headed drumstick for her new banded drum. The initial idea for this emerged when I bought the drum in Glastonbury. The sticks there ranged from £15 to about £30. Which seemed a lot for a bit of wood with a bulbous end, or two. Then when in the cottage at Slaley I found myself looking at a log destined for the wood burner and thinking that would make a drumstick. I brought the log home with me. It's a lovely bit of oak (I think by the bark) and after an hour of sawing I'd got it cut down to a rough size. I don't have a wood turning lathe therefore the next process will be whittling and sanding over a number of days. Turning it on a lathe would be quick, making this by hand will take longer but feels more personal. I only hope Julie likes the finished article.

No comments:

Post a Comment