365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 8 November 2023

Wednesday 8th November 2023

 


A most interesting day. I've just finished work and while sitting in the car waiting for the windscreen to de-mist, I caught my breath. This morning Julie came in with me as she had a 11am appointment with a Cardiovascular consultant at the Nuffield Hospital in Bristol, Professor Jonathan Crick-Pitts. Following a chaotic journey into work, I dropped Julie off in Clifton, and then joined her at the hospital an hour later. A very successful meeting with the consultant and then a quick debrief with Julie over some drinks at Spicer and Cole thereafter. Julie then got the train home and I returned to work. I had my annual appraisal at 3pm, caught up with the business of media-land and at 6pm decided to throw the towel in. Which is where this image came into my mind. It's a dark old night, it's been raining but now dry but it recalled my younger self thirty years ago.  I was half way through my first week of working at the BBC. I remember how dark it seemed and having moved south the week before I hadn't managed to get to know anyone socially yet with my evenings spent either in my B&B room or walking to the phone box in Portbury where I was staying to ring my parents or my then girlfriend Rebecca. Looking back it seems a really odd time abandoning all my family and friends for a job 320 miles south. But that's what I did and the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment