365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 2 November 2023

Thursday 2nd November 2023


 I love history in all its manifestations, possibly as I am a fossilized relic myself these days. That sense of stepping in footsteps long silenced fascinates me.  

I'm in the office on my own today. The BBC site is made up of a number of mid Victorian houses, they must have been stunning when first built. Today as offices they've been knocked about a bit, demoralising their grandeur.  I looked up from my desk as the last remnants of Storm Cairan blew itself out. I've never really looked at the plasterwork on the ceiling of my office before. It must be nearly 200 years old. Quite magnificent but on closer inspection of the frieze it is a modular design, the fruit pattern repeats every two feet or so. But that isn't what interests me, what does is the people who put it up. 

Tyndall Park was created by a Thomas Tyndall in the eighteenth century. Buying up parcels of farmland eventually his pleasure grounds extended to 68 acres. In 1799 after building his mansion Fort Royal he employed Humphrey Repton to landscape this oasis parkland overlooking the Avon Gorge and the city. Bristol was growing however and from 1822 parcels of land was sold and developed. The Tyndall's stayed in Fort Royal until 1916 when it was turned over to the University. 

Tyndall's Park Road was proposed in 1825, and thus 200 years ago this was a new build on farmland stretching to the Avon Gorge. In this room would be scaffolding, male (presumably no women) plasterers in Victorian clothes finishing off what was then the reception hallway to 3 Tyndall's Park Road. Nowadays the ceiling disappears under modern coverings after separate rooms were created but I can imagine the new owners inviting their friends around for a reception and showing off the elegance.

Later Radio Bristol used this space as both a studio and offices. Then BBC HR, or Personnel as it was then took over, before about ten years ago network radio took up residency. From women in Victorian dresses, through the Edwardian era and onto the broadcasting use, this plasterwork has silently watched over all that's gone on. I only wish it could talk and pass on the news from that first party when the plaster was still new.

No comments:

Post a Comment