365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 20 November 2023

Monday 20th November 2023

 


I went for a walk today. There is of course nothing interesting in me writing that, however in the quite warm November sunshine I thought I'd pootle off for a wander up the roads I used to walk daily when I began this blog ten years since. The image is of Oakfield Road and the fabulous Catholic Cathedral beyond. I took an almost identical image at dusk on December 9th 2013.

Until the arrival of Resident Parking Zones, these streets were a battleground. I'd see colleagues from the Natural History Unit whizzing around like hornets vying for the parking space that both relieved pressure and curtailed the whizzing. From memory if we could park on Oakfield Road it felt like all our Christmases had come at once.  It was therefore strange to  be walking up this street again after a number of years, it had not changed at all and it's atmosphere was the same. Only the modern cars were different. 



I stopped at the Cathedral where for years I've noted some very early daffodils, they have been here for years and are usually in flower mid December, bringing a splash of spring exotica to the bleak mid-winter carol services. On my return to work I noticed the Budapest Café. Now this was new to me and although sadly closed today, I shall endeavour to infiltrate its Hungarian Beef Stew with abandon one day soon. It was nice to be back. 








No comments:

Post a Comment