365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 11 October 2023

Wednesday 11th October 2023


This is Bridge Road, the B3129, a road I've known since November 1993, unbelievably nearly 30 years ago. It is the road leading from Ashton Court to the Clifton Suspension Bridge. As I sat in roadworks traffic tonight I wondered how many times I'd driven or walked up and down in those years. I remember my very first crossing on November 1st as I headed into Clifton for my first day working at the Natural History Unit. It was a magical experience and I can still recall the thrill of seeing it as if it was yesterday. Back then staff from the Bridge stood by the barrier and issued a paper ticket off a roll for the 20p to cross. Today it is £1 to cross and a contactless process. I used to enjoy the brief chat with the guys, there were three regular ones I recall and we'd always have a joke. Now I cross and don't see any staff, but I do see a lot of tourists.  For many years I'd park in Leigh Woods and walk over the Bridge to work. I loved doing that especially in winter when on stormy evenings I could see and feel the bridge moving quite dramatically with the wind. As it should, a suspension bridge is designed to flex and move to maintain its strength. I particularly liked walking across on a winter's night. Often the whole Bridge was deserted just the lights attached to the superstructure providing my only company. There was something about being mid way on a swaying bridge I liked, it felt very isolated. I was less keen in summer when the narrow paths were often full of obstructive tourists. 

I haven't walked over since the beginning of the covid pandemic. A few years ago resident permit parking was installed across Leigh Woods, with paid parking available though only for a few hours. Instantly not only did I stop parking there, but so did everyone else. Very few park there now which must be a blessing for the local residents and the parking scheme is now a bit of a white elephant. There's always a frisson crossing the Bridge, even in, as happened tonight, I'm crossing by car. At the moment the roadworks on the Somerset side are delaying me by a good 10 minutes but it's not a bad place to be stuck. Not everyone is fortunate enough to travel over the Clifton Suspension Bridge to and from work. I'm very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment