365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 10 October 2023

Tuesday 10th October 2023


I popped to Congresbury at lunchtime, partly to post a sympathy card, and partly just to get out of the house for an hour. While walking past the village noticeboard this flyer for a concert on Saturday took my eye. I like the works of Byrd and Purcell particularly. But what struck me was why did this particular flyer grab my attention. Whole careers have been forged in advertising trying to grab a person's notice. In centuries gone complete fibs were broadcast to persuade the public to part with their money. Adverts like Dr Simm's Arsenic Complexion Wafers, GUARANTEED to remove moles, freckles and all skin complaints within days. Possibly as you'd be dead. 

Today of course subtle profiling targets the unwary on social media through algorithms and increasingly artificial intelligence. I very much doubt this flyer used any sophisticated process, just a pleasing image, a calming natural world image. I've known for years nature is a valued client to society, advertising has immersed it's craft in the natural world too to great effect. Only one question remains however, shall we go? Has this pleasing image grabbed enough of my full interest? All to be decided on the night I expect, possibly by our willingness to venture outdoors now that the nights are properly dark around 7pm.  Mind you there's nothing on television to keep us in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment