365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 9 November 2013

November 9th 2013

 
I've taken better photographs but these two represent a very soggy day on the Somerset Levels at my favourite part of it. Until lunchtime the heavy driving rain made me think I'd not get out today. Eventually though a spell of drier weather came along in the afternoon so I drove over to Catcott and then Canada Farm, both part of the Shapwick Heath Nature Reserve complex (I tend to avoid the hot spots down there, too many people don't help birdwatching). The light was dire for good photographs and the rain returned before I left but it is good to see the rising numbers numbers of wigeon and lapwing especially at Catcott. At Canada Farm the lake was pretty much empty of any birdlife, but I love sitting quietly in the hide in the forlorn hope of seeing an otter. And there is something soporific in sitting in a hide in heavy rain.  As it turned darker good numbers of starling flew over, in a month or so it'll be peak starling numbers coming to roost. A sight to behold.


2 comments:

  1. I love the Somerset Levels (or the Avalon Marshes?) in the rain, and the way you describe them is very evocative. When I saw your top photo I could almost smell the bracken. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember walking along there in moonlight with you

    ReplyDelete