365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 6 November 2013

November 6th 2013


It was dark. It was wet. The wind blew outside. So what better today than a 3 rasher bacon sandwich to take to work. I don't often make bacon sandwiches to take with me and that's a shame as one of my favourite foods is a cold bacon sandwich, with lots of tomato sauce. There's nothing better after spending some time outdoors to unfurl a foil package and sit by a hedge eating one of life's greatest pleasures, the cold bacon sandwich. It also transports me right back to my childhood when my father who ran his own business used to make time 'as a family' to head off to the beach before work. The night before mum would make bacon sandwiches, and before we departed for an hour of fresh air she'd put muesli into a leak proof Tupperware container. We'd head to the beach and for an hour or so dad would swim in the sea and we'd sit there having a cold breakfast in the fresh air only being at the coast can provide (although we always had hot tea provided by a portable Camping Gaz stove). It's memories like that which in my 50th year I'm remembering. My parents worked hard to make sure as an only child, I wasn't left alone or miss out on fun days through a lack of siblings. I have to say the bacon sandwich today was delicious.

2 comments:

  1. As a vegetarian I find the aroma of bacon very tempting.
    And you're not quite in your 50th year just yet! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They often say a bacon sandwich is the hardest thing for many a vegetarian to give up :-)

    ReplyDelete