365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 22 November 2013

November 22nd 2013


 
It's a funny old world. And the funnier it becomes the more I like it. Laura Rawlings is a colleague from BBC Somerset and by chance on Twitter on Monday we had a brief chat about her forthcoming interview with Ray Davies of the Kinks, who was in town, as they say. Ray is a great proponent of the weird and bizarre and observes the unusual in his writing. I was never a huge fan of the Kinks but they were pretty good and I think much overlooked with their complex passages. One track they did record however which is rarer than hens teeth is Berkeley Mews.
 
Here is a link to the song itself on you-tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg84eWNMNUs
 
I mentioned this track to Laura before she met Ray and how it blew me away when I first heard it as a teenager. I actually heard it at a friend called Christopher Dodds house as we rifled through his older sisters 45 records one sunny summers day in the 1970's. I can still remember placing it on the record player turntable and those first chords just mesmerised me, I was hooked and by the end with its big rift, knew that was a song of genius.

 
I then forgot about my conversation with Laura until I looked at Twitter late last night when Laura posted a message saying listen....Berkeley Mews has a connection with Somerset. So I did, and at 44 minutes into her interview Laura reads out my 'blown away' by this track to Ray Davies himself. It turns out Berkeley Mews was written as a tribute to Ray's good friend Ned Sherrin (who hosted some superb arts programmes in his time and whom I loved hosting Loose Ends until his death). Because of my conversation with Laura I discovered Ned came from Somerset, a farmers son from Low Ham and there closed the bizarre circle of life. As a teenager in County Durham I heard a song which has stayed with me through all these years and so as I approach 50, that memory triggered a conversation with the composer of the song and a 4 minute long piece of the programme. The circle was squared. I listened in Somerset to a connection to my past, my own connection with farming, my life in Somerset and a song which took me right back to that sunny summers day when I first hear that opening chord, which never forgotten then emanated across the BBC Somerset airwaves.
 
Now that's rock and roll!!  

6 comments:

  1. Yes, a brilliant song tucked away on the B side of 'Lola'. I bought the single while it was riding high in the charts in 1970 and was completely amazed by it. Never go tired of listening to it, even decades later. Interesting to know about the Ned Sherrin connection. Great post-- thanks!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad my memory Frank also inspired your memory.

      Delete
  2. one of my favorite kinks songs....not well known atall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good song indeed. Quite complex but very simple at the same time

    ReplyDelete