365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 15 November 2013

November 15th 2013

 
Today I have been recording a location based interview on the topic of noise in the environment for the Radio 4 series Shared Planet. The natural world is not a quiet place but the editorial direction of today's work has been with increasing anthropogenic noise in the environment, is it having a serious effect on wildlife populations? These two images define my day. The top image was taken overlooking the North Somerset Levels. Dawn on a fine November day. The image however fails to capture that the M5 motorway is a mile in front of me and the resulting roar of traffic drowned out most if not all of the birdsong. At one point some geese flew over and I struggled to hear their calls. I felt removed from my surroundings as my hearing adjusted to the wall of sound. The image below shows the tools of my trade, a NAGRA recording device and microphone. They've had a lot of use today.


No comments:

Post a Comment