365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 7 November 2013

November 7th 2013

The River Tyne - September 2011

An audio thought today which illustrates loops of connectivity. I'm working at home writing scripts for Radio 4's Shared Planet and one of the scripts I'm working on is for 'Noise in the Environment'. On Monday I had an inspiring telephone conversation with Bernie Krause one of the Worlds leading natural sound recordists, and he mentioned in passing Chris Watson, the Newcastle based master of sound I know. By chance this morning I then had a brief e-mail chat with Chris on another matter, and his chat reminded me I had not listened to his radio programme 'The Station' - which is in essence an 24 hour audio diary of the Newcastle Central Train Station, recorded over the span of a few months. And so it came to pass, as I wrote my draft noise script it was enhanced by the sounds and emotions of what I think is possibly the most architecturally evocative stations in Britain. The fluty burble of a solo blackbird piping into the station auditorium has to be one of the best urban recordings I've ever heard. I only wish the massed starling roosts still happened in Newcastle; I can still hear that unbelievable noise overhead as I did my Christmas shopping as a child.

The Station : Recorded by Chris Watson http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03c45hq

No comments:

Post a Comment