365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 12 November 2013

November 12th 2013


It was E.M Forster who said "What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives" Exactly. Today the sunrise entered my daily life in a rather big way. Over the North Somerset Levels the sky was a kaleidoscope of colours, blues, oranges, whites, reds and as in the photograph above dark counter contrast silhouettes of the land in shadow. A day I wish I had my camera with me as I drove into work, but having left it at home, made do with the mobile. Beyond here the mists rolled in between the regimented lines of hedgerow forcing dark sentinel trees to pop their upper branches into the sunlight as if to get some air. I've mentioned sunrises before in this blog and will continue to do so. Moments passed in the majesty of what the natural world can do for us, allows us to break the tedium of our rather silly consumer based, work based, living like sheep in commuter pens existence we call Modern Civilisation. If you do one thing today, stop and look at the sky. That view is free, it has never changed for Millennia and it is nothing short of a miracle that this tiny spec of a Planet in the Universe brings such joy if we can only see it.

I'll end with a quote from an e-mail my partner Julie sent to me just now "Funny isn't it: another day has dawned which is a miracle in itself, giving a new 24 hours of possibilities, and all we do is the same thing we did yesterday"  

Wise words indeed, echoed by a text from a friend Sheena who whilst sitting in gridlocked traffic was watching the beautiful day unfurl around her while listening to Tchaikovsky!

No comments:

Post a Comment