365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 8 October 2018

Monday October 8th 2018


A chap was coming today to repair the windscreen on our two main cars, though mine has been cracked since February. He had to postpone, I'm in no hurry. 

Work today then in the spare car. Sometimes I think being a three car family is a luxury I should not indulge in. But I do.  Over the 18 months since Julie bought a new work vehicle having this third car has proved invaluable at times when one or other of the other cars is off the road. The third car is now only used as emergency or weekend driving, but I have to say as a 2005 Renault Clio with 170,000 miles on the odometer, it's a joy to take out. I could get into long drawn discussions about it being a diesel (low Co2 more NoX gas), why have three cars (the other two are eco petrol models and dull to drive), the environmetal cost of keeping an old car vs building a new one and so on, but I wont. The Clio gave Julie fabulous service for 11 years as a gardeners car, packed with tools it get her to clients across Wiltshire. Now in Somerset the time came for a slightly larger car for the ever increasing workload. We could sell the Clio, worth a few hundred pounds at most, or heaven forbid just scrap it. But I love older cars, a box and four wheels and that it, so my sentimental side came out. It's now mine as a play thing. Small, black, 110BHP turbocharged diesel, and yes, bags of fun to drive as I zoom past newer cars with their electronic engine management packs making them dull to drive. I now use super diesel and since doing so the black soot older diesels emit has gone. No car is clean to drive, not even electric, not everything in life has to tick the environmentalism box. I don't fly, I don't buy new things that often, rarely go on holiday, so this is my one indulgence! 

That and proper 150w light bulbs (I bought hundreds before they became illegal)

No comments:

Post a Comment