365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 26 October 2018

Friday October 26th 2018


I quite enjoy insomnia. All my life I've been a restless sleeper, spending many hours awake in the middle of the night. I like the darkness. That inward looking blanket of comforting stillness. The day is all bustle and hectic endeavour,  but in the dead of night, nothing stirs.  I'd been awake for around an hour when I took this image. The moon is high overhead. A full moon I think, a cloud shrouded orb bathing the landscape in a white glow strong enough for me to stand outdoors and observe the garden in monochrome illumination. There is a wind billowing through the trees, yet the atmosphere is at rest. Peaceful. Not a sound. Not a movement. Just my inner thoughts observing the cool lunar glow. Nighttime is wonderful, it's when I'm at my most alive, creative, thoughtful. As a very young child I'd be outside in the garden before dawn. My parents worried about my lack of sleep, but I fall asleep quickly, then when I awake, I am fully awake. No half state of sleep deprived befuddlement. I'm either asleep, or awake, no matter how short the sleep has been. I also love driving at night, relishing that mesmerising gaze ahead of me, those pathfinder light-beams searching for the road ahead, a road which races towards me with the therapeutic regularity of a waterfall. Yet peripherally there is no movement, it is as if I am travelling in a void, until that is a slim tear in the inky horizon is observed. Dawn is breaking the grip of night, as if by magic.

So, now I've written this daily post, I shall return to bed and grab a few more hours of sleep before the day dawns and World returns to bustle and hectic

No comments:

Post a Comment