365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 21 December 2023

Thursday 21st December 2023

As if on queue, this January Gold daffodil has come into flower today, traditionally the shortest day. Although the winter solstice is not until 3.27 am tomorrow, the 21st of December always features as a high spot in my year. I don't mind the dark nights, but I much prefer the longer days of summer. But as with all things if we had summer days all year we'd feel bereft of change. And this is what this daffodil represents to me, change. It is the wheel of life revolving. Yes it is still early winter but this first of I hope many blooms brings with it hope, new beginnings and a desire to look forward not backwards. As if to compound that feeling at 4.30pm this image grabbed me. What it doesn't record is the strange light that emanated all around. A half light if you will that spoke of late winter not today mid December. The nights are shortening although it'll be January 6th before the sunrise is a little later. Three cheers to the daffodil then.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment