365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 9 December 2023

Saturday 9th December 2023

What a strange day. I'm a regular visitor to Wells market on a Saturday. Around Christmas time there are extra stalls and fun. Not today. I had driven through some impressive flooding on the Somerset Levels and arrived at Wells market, but it wasn't there. About a dozen stalls were littered across the market place but the rest were missing. I was told due to the weather warning for heavy rain today that most stallholders had decided not to come, which given it's two weeks to Christmas is interesting. The result however was my plan to do some stocking filler shopping was not going to happen. Plan B then. The Bishops Palace.

I've an annual pass for here so my plan was just to have half an hour peace and quiet. Which I did. Firstly I lit a candle for mum in the chapel, then looked at the decorations. Then followed a wander around the gardens. This evening and across December the gardens are illuminated between 3.30pm and 7.30pm, at eleven in the morning I could see only the structures bejeweled with lights.


The gardens are lovely even in mid-winter and I headed for the quiet garden. Here a grove of silver birch surround a seating area where in the evening silence is preferred for an hour. I'd say though every time I've been here, even in summer, it's been quiet. Today I was in my own little world. My wander around the garden over I nipped back I to Wells for lunch at the Good Earth, an excellent chick pea curry, and some non festive shopping.  Then home via Hillier's in Cheddar and six new guppy fish to keep our lone guppy happy in his aquarium. A strange day indeed but I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment