365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 5 April 2019

Friday April 5th 2019


Success. A month back I attended a Northumbrian Smallpipes taster day at Halsway Manor in Somerset. I loved it even though I found my fingers were about as flexible as a brick in boxing gloves. Despite being unable to play along with my fellow taster chaps, I loved it. The conversation moved to electronic pipes and well to make a short story even shorter I bought these e-pipes for my birthday. However on unpacking the beast, nothing happened. Batteries checked, manual (quite rudimentary) consulted, but still no. I emailed the supplier and after a number of exchanges last night I got a squeak from somewhere. Tonight then, can the squeak become a note. Well yes, after two hours of blood, sweat and tears I triumphed and got the e-pipe to play a tune. I’m not sure what the tune was but as I also produced silence, I had cracked it. Silence? Yes indeed, in the smallpiped silence is the default sound and part of the playing style. I like making silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment