365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 12 February 2019

Tuesday February 12th 2019


Sort of a momentous day today. I remember as a young man, fresh out of short pants, my parents friend used to say to me, there'll come a time in a career or job when you know you've turned a corner. Today was that as this is Tim mixing the last five Living Worlds I'll ever produce, for me. For 10 years Living world on Radio 4 has been part of who I became as a 45 year old newbie into the madcap world of radio production, after my move out of the management team. Back then Lionel Kelleway was the consummate presenter of the series, and I have to say, probably remains so. Until 2015, the 18 episodes a year were recorded on location as "intimate encounters with Bristish wildlife". From it's inception in 1967 the programme has criss-crossed the lanes and byways of the United Kingdom. Then as part of Radio 4 financial changes (and editorial direction from on high) the series has been a repeat slot with a top and tail to bring it up to date for the modern audience. In this final run I am producing one episode goes back to 1974 on Shetland with Bobbie Tulloch, at a time before the oil industry had got going up there. An archive programme in more ways than one. Also in this run, a programme on Islay from 1987, stoats, brown hares and finally on the 31st March, my swansong programme, the Cuddy (or eider) duck on the Northumberland coast. Ten years is enough. My tenure ends. Time to let younger and eager workabees take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment