365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 3 January 2014

January 3rd 2014

 
Working from home today. Which gave me an opportunity to head off at lunchtime to my local piece of Somerset coastline to see what if anything had happened after the storm and high tide at 7am. I can see Sand Point, the hill in the distance of this photograph as I write this in my office. It's about a mile away. The bay, Sand Bay, is a special place of mine just 4 fields away and I realised I've not mentioned it in this year long blog yet. I love it as it is a world away from Weston super Mare over and around the opposite headland to the south. I do a lot of bird-watching here, it is a good passage migrant spot and holds good numbers of waders in the winter, plus birds like merlin and if lucky short eared owl. Today though in the half an hour I wandered about in very strong wind there was nothing more exciting than a flock of starling wheeling aloft in the gusts. It's always wild and windswept here and before I got to know Wiltshire well, it was where I came to escape the rat race for a moment and walk the three mile round trip in relative isolation. And that is important. As is the importance of knowing that from this office window as the crow flies, there is Sand Bay, the Bristol Channel opening out into the Atlantic and next stop America 3,000 miles away. That could explain why it's often windy here!


No comments:

Post a Comment