365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 4 January 2014

January 4th 2014


Another dire and wet day as another low pressure front comes in to deluge an already sodden land. A good day to crack on with a job I've been meaning to do for a long time. As part of this I put together my 1980's Hi-Fi separates, including the turntable which has been languishing unloved for a few years under the stairs. Wonderful to get it all working well again and I'd forgotten how wonderful an experience it is getting a vinyl LP out of its paper sleeve and physically put it onto the turntable. Kate Bush, Never for Ever which I was given as a present at Christmas 1980. I can recall playing it at my childhood home, at the farm when I'd left home at 16 and now in 2014, 34 years later, in Somerset. Playing it takes me back, and, I can remember when every click and scratch on the LP was about to come along. How is that, how over those 34 years has my brain remembered the sequence of clicks and scratches. Memory is an astonishing thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment