365-2-50

365-2-50

Thursday 30 January 2014

January 30th 2014


This was a lovely surprise in the post today, made all the more interesting in that it arrived at the third way mark in my 365 day blog. Today is my 122nd posting and marks the first point of the triangle of my year.

We often get books sent to us in the post from authors but this one caught my eye when it arrived first thing, 'The World in our Hands - we can save our planet and our species if we can share our the and our space'. Often these books are a rehash of well known ideas in another form, but reading the accompanying letter from Mr Pinder I became interested. On the fly-leaf it states 'We count and measure most things in tens, except a 7 day week and a 24 hour day, a 10 day week and a 1000 milliday day would be simpler and more efficient'

Intriguing, especially as within the covering letter Mr Pinder states that if most people shared their job in a ten day working week, they would put far less pressure on the environment an have more time for gardening, walking and other outdoor pursuits'  I particularly like this form of curve ball thinking. Curve ball thinking has its place but with caveats that many times it is not feasible, either intellectually or practically but I hope I am open minded enough to read this and decide for myself if there is a anything but an Utopian concept in this. My weekend reading then, I may begin at 10 minutes to 10 o'clock on the 1st of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment