365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 10 January 2014

January 10th 2014



Having a bit of a walk at lunchtime to take in the Clifton air I walked past a garage I used for a while to get my car serviced. The chap who ran it died suddenly a few years ago and since then I've not been past there.  Today walking past it is all change. The garage now seems to restore and service classic cars, of which this wonderfully restored Austin-Healey 'frogeye' Sprite was on full display in the showroom. The Mark1 Austin sprite was a cousin to the MG midget, a car as a teenager I wanted to own. My uncle had a 'frogeye' when they first came out of which there is a good story I may recall one day. What was remarkable is how small these cars seem now to today's beefed up cars due to the myriad of safety features now installed. Also in the garage was a 1980's Ford Cortina, which parked next to a modern Peugeot 306 looked tiny in comparison. I like classic cars for their elegance and simplicity, although not in any sepia way, modern cars are much more reliable and well built, but rarely now have any character. Which is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment