365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 11 January 2014

January 11th 2013


Gardening; As Thomas Jefferson said 'No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden'.

I have been fascinated by gardens and gardening since I was a tiny child. Before going to infants school I remember hosting a flower and plant stall in my back garden to allow my parents and neighbours to buy, at an extortionately high price, some wild flowers (weeds) I'd potted up and gathered from the garden. As long as I can remember I've enjoyed lawn mowing too, possibly my favourite job of the year is the first spring cut when that sent of new mown grass pervades the air, spring has arrived. I love too that sense of bringing order to the garden that a good day of weeding and digging brings with it and a weed free bed of newly turned soil.  Today then as the sun bore down upon us from an azure blue sky after a walk around Cheddar reservoir, the pull of a 50% off sale at the local garden centre was too much to resist. Left forground 6 Euronymus for £5.99 and at the back 2 variagated Ilex ( one each of male and female) at £7.50 each. The latter I wish to plant up in two large pots and create a feature on the patio which will also double up as a Christmas feature in years to come. I love gardening, but I love a bargain almost as much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment