365-2-50

365-2-50

Saturday 5 October 2013

October 5th 2013



 
 
Nature often brings with it surprises. This morning around 8am I was alerted to a clamour, commotion and a cacophony of corvid noise from the field behind my house, or to be more truthful, a hedgerow ash tree. For 20 minutes around 200 (it was hard to count) rooks, jackdaws and carrion crow bombarded this tree, falling to it like black snow from the sky. A constant vortex of movement would see tens of birds flying into the tree while others would fly out from unseen perch deep within to noisily fly off only to loop back and start the process again. The resulting noise was one of the loudest natural sounds I've heard in many a month. Along nearby electricity lines, there were dozens of black birds calling away while trying to cling onto the oscillating wire. Now corvids will "hassle" a tree if it contains a bird of prey or another predator, what struck me today though was the sheer volume of birds and that it lasted nearly half an hour before silence prevailed. I have watched nature since a child of 3, it never ceases to amaze me with something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment