365-2-50

365-2-50

Monday 28 October 2013

October 28th 2103


Its not often as a family we get together, especially on my mothers side, but today was a special day, my Mother's 80th Birthday (seated in middle). October 28th 1933 seems a long time ago even for me, but for my 2nd cousins in the front of this photo it must seem like Victorian Britain felt to me, recent but ancient history. And that makes me think, my mother was born less than 40 years from the Victorian age, she is a product of two people who were born well into the Victorian age, and looking forward, I am connected to that past through this image and those boys in the front in 60 years time will look back and remember 2013 as a long time ago. My mother knew her Norwegian grandmother born about 1860, and I know my mother in 2013. History, or at least the timescales of history often play memory tricks. It wasn't that long ago really. Having said that it was great to all meet up, we think the first time we have done so since 2000.

Today was also the infamous St Jude's storm across Southern England. In Tyneside where this photo was taken, not a breath of wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment